On-Going Open Call for Artists
New Works supports the creative development of artists and audiences. Through our pay what you can presentation and workshop series, Dance Allsorts, we share dance with everyone. We bring artists into various communities through our Pop Up Dances presentation series, and we support Artists stretching their capabilities through our evening series, New Works at Night. We promote and celebrate dance from all traditions and genres, and artists at every stage of their careers.
No Application Deadline
New Works offers a range of presentation opportunities for artists who identify as:
- mid-career and/or
How to apply:
- Contact the Presentations Coordinator to discuss your proposal: firstname.lastname@example.org
OPEN CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST
Pop Up Dances + PoCo Canada: Celebrate our Journey – Saturday August 26 2017
Deadline for Submission: May 30 2017
About Pop Up Dances:
Pop Up Dances is a site specific performance experience that takes place in non-traditional performance locations and provides a hosted tour for audiences. Presentations by individual artists and/or groups are six (6) minutes – fifteen (15) minutes in duration. Pop Up Dances are free to the public and celebrate dance in all its forms.
New Works is accepting expressions of interest from performance artists for a Pop Up Dances Performance on Saturday August 26 2017 as part of the Canada 150 Celebration in Port Coquitlam, BC. New Works has been engaged to curate Pop Up Dances as part of the event. More information on Pop Up Dances can be found here.
Pop Up Dances presentation support for the selected artists will include:
- A professional performance fee
- Stage management support (as required)
- A technical/spacing rehearsal at the selected performance location(s) and
- Secure storage space before, during and after the performance
- Please note: Artists are responsible for personal expenses not specified in the contract (including materials) related to their performance
About PoCo Canada: Celebrate our Journey
To celebrate Canada 150 in Port Coquitlam, Pop Up Dances will be part of About PoCo Canada: Celebrate our Journey, which will celebrate the people and culture that helped shape the city. More information on this project can be found here. Artists who have a connection to the City of Port Coquitlam will be given priority consideration. The connection can include, but is not limited to:
- Current or former residency
- Current or former performance experience
- Training or education experience
- Instruction experience
Within Port Coquitlam.
If interested please submit by email in ONE PDF DOCUMENT*:
Subject Line: About PoCo Canada: Celebrate our Journey
- Name, address, email & telephone number
- Performance Summary and Bio (100-word artist bio [maximum] and a 100-word summary [maximum])
- Please include:
- Your connection to Port Coquitlam (if applicable)
- Previous experience with site specific performance and
- How this opportunity will help develop your creative practice
- Attach 5 images [maximum] of past work (JPG or PNG format)
Please direct questions or email submissions to:
Coordinator – Cultural Programs, Presentations, and Special Events
#303 – 3102 Main Street Vancouver, BC V5T 3G7
e email@example.com t 604.893.8807
*Please note that the maximum file size accepted is 15MB. If your PDF file is larger, please email a link via WeTransfer or Dropbox. All submission requirements must be in one file.
New Works gratefully acknowledges the support of the Department of Canadian Heritage, Canada Council for the Arts, City of Vancouver, British Columbia Arts Council, CMHC Granville Island, Granville Island Cultural Society, The Roundhouse Community Arts and Recreation Centre, Evergreen Cultural Centre, our community partners the Vancouver Latin American Film Festival, and Caravan World Rhythms, and our media sponsor: The Georgia Straight.
New Works Team
Quincey Kirschner EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
Carina Thiedeke ASSOCIATE DIRECTOR
Beverly Walker COORDINATOR – CULTURAL PROGRAMS, PRESENTATIONS, AND SPECIAL EVENTS
Martin Alldred GENERAL MANAGER, OUT INNERSPACE DANCE THEATRE
Joanna Garfinkel GENERAL MANAGER, JUSTINE A. CHAMBERS; JAMES & JAMESY
Stephanie Symns GENERAL MANAGER,