Apply for funds to create your own Share Dance Project for young people!
Deadline: March 17th, 2021
What is Share Dance?
The Share Dance Program brings free dance workshops into schools and organizations that support underserved young people in metro Vancouver. New Works runs these workshops at no cost to the schools, after-school care programs, or organizations which typically have little or no budget for artistic programming. Share Dance aims to provide opportunity for social and cultural recognition and reflection, utilizing dance as a means of communication that transcends language. As a result, the program is uniquely inclusive for newcomers, and people with learning, mental health, cognitive and physical challenges. Since last year, we’ve crucially expanded into partnerships that serve children, families and youth not served by traditional school systems, due to housing instability, immigration issues, and other complex and systemic barriers. We use extensive pre-workshop outreach, and post-workshop feedback to continually tailor our programming to the specific populations we serve in each partnership. Share Dance is accessible and COVID-19 compliant based on the current public health orders.
Do you have an idea for a dance project that benefits underserved young people in Metro Vancouver? We want to hear from you!
We are offering a $1000CAD commission for emerging dance artists to create & develop their own Share Dance project between May-July 2021.
These are some of the programs Share Dance has provided:
- Free In-person (before Covid times) and live-streamed dance workshops for schools/organizations including Lord Strathcona Elementary, Watari, KidSafe, and Rainbow Refugee. We’ve offered workshops in English and Spanish
- * Typically, we pay Share Dance instructors a $200 one-time prep fee plus $150 for each workshop (45min-1 hour length)
- Pre-recorded dance workshops (our videos are permanently available through our website).
Applicants may choose any of these activities for their commission, but they don’t have to. We accept new ideas as long as they include engagement with underserved children and or youth, living in Metro Vancouver, & a dance component.
- This opportunity is open to emerging dance artists. Projects can include interdisciplinary elements.
- The artist must be based in BC.
- Artists who have connections with children and or youth programs, groups, etc. are encouraged to apply.
- Projects should be COVID-19 compliant based on the current public health orders
We prioritize applications from equity-seeking artists who have or are facing systemic barriers that infringe on their artistic career. This includes, but is not limited to, artists who identify as Indigenous, Black, Person of Colour, Trans, Non-binary, Queer, Disabled, low income, and living in the intersections of these identities.
What you need to apply:
Please submit the following to Sindy, at firstname.lastname@example.org by March 17th, 2021:
- CV/Bio of the artist (s) involved highlighting your dance background and any experience working with children and/or youth
- 1-2 page project description that includes details such as:
- What is your project: live-streamed dance workshops, a pre-recorded dance workshop video, a video dance performance?
- Who is your project for? Do you have an existing network/community of young people that you could reach out to with this project?
- How would your project benefit underserved young people living in metro Vancouver?
- Simple budget
- Any links to online examples of work, website, etc. (optional)
Note: Artists that would prefer to apply in a non-written form (i.e audio or video) are welcome to send a video or voice recording that includes a description of their project & bio to email@example.com
- Info Session February 26th at 12pm via Zoom.
Join Share Dance coordinator, Sindy Angel; New Works Executive Director, Julie Mamias; and Communications Manager, Sophie Brassard for a question & answer video conversation. Please RSVP by emailing Sindy at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deadline to submit application: March 17th, 2021
- Applications will be reviewed by a selection committee late March 2021
- Selected applicants will be called for video interviews at the beginning of April 2021
- Selected projects will be announced mid April 2021
- Selected projects must take place between May-July, 2021 (this includes planning and delivery of project)
- Final Report: 30 days within the project end date
If you have any questions please contact Share Dance coordinator, Sindy Angel at email@example.com
New Works respectfully acknowledges the sovereignty of the xʷməθkwəy̓əm (Musqueam), Skwxwú7mesh (Squamish), and Səl̓ílwətaɬ (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations on whose traditional, unceded and occupied territories we live and work. We commit to dedicating time and resources to stand and work in solidarity with Indigenous Artists and communities and to support their visions and goals.
Share Dance is made possible by the generous support of the BC Arts Council (Operating Assistance and Youth Engagement Program), Canadian Heritage, Metro Vancouver Cultural Grants, the City of Vancouver, Canada Arts Council, the Hamber Foundation and BC Gaming.